In science class we started learning about dirty water and how it effects the world (see previous posts). Now, the six grade students at SAS are trying to make a difference in some way. I will be working with my partners, Friyana and Carolina, to help the water crisis and raise awareness about it.
What We Want To Happen
Goal: We want to raise awareness, but also raise money for water charities.
How: We are going to make posters and hang them up around the school. Then we will sell baked goods and other things at one of our condos, or SAS.
Jobs
Everyone: Bake something the day before we sell, help make posters and brochures.
Friyana: Quilled items (quilling is thin pieces of paper roles and glued into the shape of a flower, or something else)
Emily: Bracelets
Carolina: Hair ties
Week 1
This week we started making things to sell. I made the posters on pages and started making brochures using pages.
Failures: We still have not found out when and where we would like to sell.
Week 2
This week was spring break. Since we were all on vacation, we continued making things. We also made some changes to our plan. Instead of making posters, we are going to make brochures to give out at one of our condos with the things that we sell. I have also decided that I am going to make rainbow loom bracelets as well, because they take less time to make.
These are some of the bracelets I have made so far:
Week 2
This week was spring break. Since we were all on vacation, we continued making things. We also made some changes to our plan. Instead of making posters, we are going to make brochures to give out at one of our condos with the things that we sell. I have also decided that I am going to make rainbow loom bracelets as well, because they take less time to make.
These are some of the bracelets I have made so far:
Week 3
I had to get a lot done this week, because this week was the week before we had to sell. I finished making the brochures and continued making bracelets. I also made chocolate chip cookies the night before we are going to sell.
![]() |
| These are the finished brochures |
Week 4
This week was the last week of the water project. We sold our stuff and so far, we made $262.10. This is way past the goal I had in mind.
Solving problems: If it weren't for my group, I probably would have earn $5. Instead of giving up, I got help from my younger brother who is a good bargainer. He helped me sell my bracelets and I got $50 more for my group.
Our Charity
We are donating the money to a charity called Milaap. I didn't love this charity at first, but then my mom explain it to me, and now I think it's really cool. Milaap is an organisation that lends money to people in India. You can donate to a cause (which in our case is water related) and Milaap will lend the money to the to the people working on the project. They use the money to put the plan in action and make a difference somehow. Soon, they will pay Milaap back and Milaap will give us our money back, so that we can donate it again to another project. I really like this, because overtime, you can help even more people.
![]() |
| Milaap's logo |
![]() |
| Milaap's website |
What will I take away from this project?
- Working in a group is NOT easy
- Don't leave too much work to the last minute
- Have a plan before you do things
- I got others involed (I told my family about it and they wanted to help)
- Anyone can make a difference
The next time we have a project like this, I will make sure to keep these things in mind and learn from my mistakes during this project.
Conclusion
Besides the few things that I could have done better on, I think our project was mostly successful. We raise awareness by giving out the brochures and and also made money that we will now donate to a great charity. I think that we made a difference because the people who looked at the brochures might have taken action by saving water, or maybe donating. I also think we were successful because once we donate the money it will be helping someone get clean or safe drinking water. This has been a great experience for me and probably many other people.





On your presentation, my favorite thing was how explained everything you did throughly. I also liked how your explanation was precise.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your presentation and your water project because I noticed you made a a lot of items and am happy that you got to reach your goal and you feel proud of yourself. Thats how everyone should feel after this project. Great Job.
ReplyDeleteI really liked how your presentation was really clear and thorough. I felt liked you explained everything really well, and did and amazing job!
ReplyDelete