Sunday, 27 April 2014

Poetry Anthology

When I first started reading this poem, I thought it would be a poem to read for fun. But when I read the line, “You see- just junk. No-wait- each piece can tell a tale...” it reminded me immediately of how my parents are always telling my brother and I that the things we collect are junk. Like the poet, I felt that the things I had collected were important because they reminded of a good time or someone or something important.
Something that I also really like about this poem is it’s cheerfulness and rhythm. I noticed that it started out like any other poem using rhyme. Then when I started to read the list it seemed to become more cheerful and maybe supposed to be read quicker than the other lines. When the list stopped, it slowed down. But only for a brief moment, before the poet picked up the pace again. She did that when she said, “No-wait- each piece can tell a tale. It’s not just junk that’s old and stale...”. I like how she ends it with the same cheerfulness at the start.
I admire how the poet can make the poem cheerful, but also add emotion in it when she wrote, “You see - just junk.” What I like even more is how she can end it with the same rhythm from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment